We believe that pairing hard sciences and disruptive technology will result in meeting the global challenges we face, and building a resilient society. Resilient by Design. SIM-CI’s high-end use cases offer an insight into the SIM-CI suite and it’s possible applications.
Network operations and interdependencies
Modelling for network operations and interdependencies is at the core of SIM-CI’s DNA. As an Alliander innovation start-up, our primary focus is on bolstering the utility networks and facilitating energy companies in their energy transitions.
Using our advanced modelling and simulation technology, we help utilities to identify weak spots in their networks, taking into account topology, asset deterioration, usage patterns and network loads. Artificial Intelligence and machine learning technology is used to enhance the outcome of the simulations and to assist network owners in their decision processes.
The SIM-CI suite enables you to:
- Project long-term deterioration and the effects on the grid;
- Identify and assess weak spots in your network, and work out maintenance and contingency scenarios;
- Plan maintenance scenarios and asset replacements using accurate predictions;
- (Re)design and optimize your networks and topology.
Cyber security is an issue that cannot be underestimated. Recent events, like the hack that shut down Ukrainian powerplants or the WannaCry attack which paralysed the Rotterdam Harbor for days, illustrate the utmost importance and urgency of protecting our vital infrastructures against cyber-attacks. At SIM-CI we assume that it is only a matter of time for our CI’s to be hacked. Since it is merely impossible to prevent a hack, given the multitude of attack surfaces, we instead focus on making our vital infrastructures cyber resilient.
Using our simulation technology, we are able to mimic the effects of a hack on the grid. These simulations incorporate various scenarios, ranging from a simple power outage due to ‘flipping the switch’, to more advanced scenarios in which data flows or CI-operations are manipulated to cause a brownout or blackout without directly setting off any alarms.
Using the SIM-CI platform you can:
- Assess the impact of various hacking scenarios on the grid;
- Visualize the impact and cascading effects caused by interdependencies throughout the networks;
- Redesign and optimize the network topology to implement network resilience, by building network segments which are able to contain the impact of a hack.
Simulating Climate Resilience
Climate change can have a huge impact on society, as illustrated by recent devastating events like hurricanes Harvey and Maria and the wide-spreading wildfires in California, Portugal and Spain. Even more insidious events, such as excessive rainfall and prolonged heat waves, result in more than just a nuisance. How will these tendencies impact our cities and our daily lives? How can we mitigate these effects and create a city that is resilient by design?
In cooperation with climate experts from Utah University, Stanford, TU/Delft, TNO and Deltares, we’re creating a modelling and simulation framework that captures not only the effects on the cities’ infrastructures, but also gives insight on the socio-economic impact of those events.
Using our simulation technology, we are able to project future events on urban regions and to assess and visualize their impact on vital infrastructures and urban processes.
Using the SIM-CI platform you can:
- Assess the impact of climate change on the city;
- Identify weak spots and risks;
- Visualize the impact and cascading effects caused by network interdependencies;
- Define mitigation scenarios and contingency plans.
Simulating the Energy Transition
Transitoning from a centralized gas- & oil-based power distribution to the use of renewable energy sources via decentralized generation requires a tremendous effort and changing mindset. Traditional utilities and network owners no longer have the prerogative on access to the power grid. Ranging from households feeding their PV surplus to the net, to privately owned microgrids, they have to take into account other parties interacting with their networks.
Started out as an innovation satellite of Alliander, a major Dutch gas and electricity utility, SIM-CI has in-depth knowledge on designing, operating and maintaining gas and power networks.
The SIM-CI suite provides you with insights to:
- Optimize your network topology;
- Assess the impact of network dynamics caused by decentralized generation and changed usage patterns (e.g. deterioration, load balancing, CO2 impact);
- Design optimized microgrids and assess grid interaction;
- Create mitigation scenarios and contingency plans for optimum operations.